Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sometimes I get angry


Surprisingly, I have yet to post a rant on this blog. I have many, MANY things that make me mad, and now it’s time to get some of that out. Something that upsets me greatly is victim-blaming. We all know about it. “Oh, she was wearing a short skirt and a low-cut top the night she was raped. She really shouldn’t have worn something that slutty, and he probably wouldn’t have raped her.” This kind of behavior is programmed into our society all our lives. 
Does anybody else remember in middle and high school that stupid rule that the girls were not allowed to wear spaghetti-strap tank tops, because they were ‘distracting’ and ‘boys like to snap the straps’? Thinking back on this, I am really pissed off. SO, rather than teach these young men to respect a woman and just, oh, NOT SNAP THEIR STRAPS, we teach young women that they must police their wardrobe to appease the patriarchy. 
So should the male sexualization of girls’ clothing matter more than girls’ personal freedom and comfort? Absolutely not. Let me tell you what, if I ever have a daughter, her school better shape up, or they will face my wrath. 

No comments :

Post a Comment