Friday, March 8, 2013

Friday Ruminations


This evening, at the hairdresser, a woman came in with her two unruly and rude teenagers. I immediately knew the teens were going to irritate me right away, they both had that typical ‘I’m an obnoxious kid who thinks I know it all’ kind of look about them. The woman looked so frazzled, or maybe I just saw her that way because I know I would be frazzled with children like that. Anyway, she just wanted a quick trim, and they took her right back. When she sat down in the chair, her son walks over, interrupts the hairdresser, and asks his mom for money. She tells him that she really doesn’t have a few dollars to spare, and he replies, “Oh, but you have money for a haircut?”, and angrily walks away from her. At this point I want to get up and smack the kid, but obviously that’s not my place, so I just silently shake my head. A couple minutes later, the daughter yells across the salon to her mother that they are going to go take a walk. I, for one, was very happy to have them leave. 

After her haircut, as she was walking to the register to pay, she had this horribly sad expression on her face. It made my heart hurt; I wished I could say something to make her feel better. I just don’t understand the rudeness of people. What makes me the most sad is that this is obviously her everyday life. She deals with her kids every day, and they seem to be bringing her down. 

I hope her kids grow up a bit and become more respectful. I hope the woman realizes that she is also important. 

I wish that everyone could realize that they are important. 

No comments :

Post a Comment